- Glenfield, Hillside and Montclair High School named Model Schools for the Arts by the New Jersey Arts Education Partnership.
- Montclair Fund for Educational Excellence (MFEE), the district’s local education fund, annually awards over $200 thousand to the Montclair Public Schools through: teacher-initiated classroom grants, social and emotional learning projects, professional development experiences, and district-wide initiatives. Recent innovative projects include non-traditional seating options and focus tools to improve student learning in the elementary schools, hands-on science equipment for all three middle schools, and a state-of-the-art Media Center at MHS.
- Newsweek recognition as one of the top 1,000 schools in the nation. US Department of Education distinction as one of six exemplary magnet school programs in the nation.
- Charles H. Bullock School joins a group of 59 schools that are the first-ever to achieve the Sustainable Jersey for Schools certification (2015)
- An award-winning magnet system with elementary and middle schools identified by the themes global studies, science & technology, creating connections, Montessori, university, STEM, environmental science, and gifted & talented.
- Academically challenging high school with a diverse curriculum, more than 25 AP classes, small learning communities (the Civics and Government Institute, Center for Social Justice and STEM); and visual art and performance options in the School of Visual and Performing Arts (SVPA)
- Ninety percent of 2016 graduates matriculated at post-secondary institutions of higher learning, including at Ivy League universities and dozens at highly competitive schools.
- Multiple world language offerings, including Spanish, French and Mandarin (K-12), as well as German, Italian, Latin (high school); Montclair High School language students typically earn top honors in competitions and on national exams.
- Sixty percent of the district’s instructional staff hold advanced degrees in teaching and/or their subject area.
- MHS offers more than 100 clubs, including community service, salsa dancing, bridge, Ultimate Frisbee, robotics, and literary magazine.
- SVPA stages three productions per year, including Showcase, a student-run production, and the spring musical (e.g. “In the Heights,” 2014)
- Euro Challenge, Fed Challenge, Model UN, and Model Congress teams typically achieve top finishes in national competitions; Mock Trial team consistently competes at regional, state, and national levels; Math League team ranked in the top 20 of New Jersey high schools.
- The district supports more than 30 varsity sports, including soccer, football, basketball, baseball/softball, track, tennis, lacrosse, gymnastics, swimming, crew, fencing and golf.
- In 2015-16, athletes earned State-level titles in Field Hockey, Girls’ Soccer, Fencing, and Swimming; County Titles in Girls’ Soccer, Cross Country, Golf; and conference/division titles in Cross Country, Girls’ Soccer, Bowling (girls), and Ice Hockey. Additionally, several coaches were awarded coach of the year honors at the conference and county levels. Typically a dozen or more athletes are recruited annually to Division 1 and 3 colleges and universities.